Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Ditching the Dough Girl

Twas the Tuesday after Memorial Day weekend, and it was a rough one at the office.  All day I was dreading the idea of my weekly 7:30p Flywheel date/class with my friend Andrea.  I could barely keep my eyes open at some points during the day - but I knew enough to keep myself satiated and hydrated throughout the day to prep for class.

I go back and forth on this particular teacher - sometimes I really like his class and other times I want to stick a large needle in my eye at the 20 minute mark.  He gets to me because he talks about FAT.  He talks about how 'no one wants to jiggle at the beach this weekend' and how 'if we wanted hot bodies, we should have started getting ready for summer weeks ago.'  Ok - maybe he's right - but all this talk about fatness just brings me back to the days when the boys on the bus would call me the Pillsbury Dough Girl or 'Large and in Charge Danielle.'  It gives me total anxiety and to be honest, I just shut down.

Anyway, during the four block walk to the studio - I decided that today was going to be different.  I was going to ignore the teacher's fat fodder and just go for it.  And I worked my ass off.  I ran up every hill - I overshot every sprint - I didn't drop my weights during the arms series.  And what was the outcome?  888 Calories!
I burned 888 Calories, if you include the walk home to my apartment.  That's 888 calories in about 90 minutes.  It's insane.  I'm so proud of myself for doing it - and doing it on a day when I felt like crap, and in a class with a teacher who occasionally brings back a girl I don't want to be. 

I ditched the dough girl today.

No comments:

Post a Comment